Marc Cucurella looks likely to become Chelsea‘s latest signing this summer. The Premier League side are ready to pay 68 million euros to sign the Brighton star on a six-year deal.
With Manchester City not improving their offer, Thomas Tuchel‘s Chelsea swooped in sensing an opportunity ahead of the departure of Marcos Alonso.
It has taken the Spaniard a single season to triple his transfer value (he cost 18m euros) and he will now go from a mid-table Brighton to an ambitious Chelsea side who are aiming to win everything under their new owners.
Chelsea‘s new era is off to a strong start. The club have signed Raheem Sterling and Kalidou Koulibaly, with Cucurella now on the verge of becoming the club’s third summer signing.
If the deal goes through Chelsea will have spent more than 140m euros on just three players.
The most expensive Spanish players
- Kepa Arrizabalaga – Chelsea – 80 million euros
- Marc Cucurella – Chelsea – 68 million euros
- Alvaro Morata – Chelsea – 66 million euros
- Aymeric Laporte – Manchester City – 65 million euros
- Rodri – Manchester City – 62.7 million euros
- Fernando Torres – Chelsea – 58.5 million euros
- Ferran Torres – Barcelona – 55 million euros
- Diego Costa – Atletico Madrid – 50 million euros
- Gaizka Mendieta – Lazio – 48 million euros
- Juan Mata – Manchester United – 44.73 million euros
Cucurella is set to become the second most expensive Spanish signing in history.
The 68m euros Chelsea will pay Brighton for his services is only surpassed by the 80m euros the Blues paid Athletic Club to sign Kepa Arrizabalaga.
They also signed Alvaro Morata for 66m euros in 2017/18.